A mechanical concert for string quartet, piano, barrel organ.
with Wilhem Latchoumia
« The danger does not lie in the machines, if it did we would be pushed into this silly dream of having to destroy them by force, just like iconoclasts who, by smashing images, professed to crush beliefs as well… The danger does not lie in the multiplication of machines either. It is in the growing number of men who, since they were born, are only used to what machines can deliver. »
Georges Bernanos, 1945
Man always had conflicting relationships with the machines created by other men. Toys, magical objects, or dangers?
Barbarie, the new eccentricity of Quatuor Béla, tells us of that relationship. Accompanied by dazzling pianist Wilhem Latchoumia, they offer us an exceptional musical moment!
On stage, an unlikely and anachronistic orchestra in which a hurdy-gurdy, a player piano and a barrel organ mix with the venerable instruments of the string quartet and with the ancient/grand piano.
From Albert Marcœur’s whacky rock to Raphaël Cendo’s outraged saturism to Noriko Baba’s delicacy or Marco Stroppa and Frédéric Aurier’s elaborate melismas, this concert makes us wonder again, with dread, poetry and humor, about the relationship we want to have with the machine.
Is it a losing battle against a cold-hearted rival or the fruitful encounter with a friendly voice?
Art direction : Quatuor Béla
Wednesday 2 October 2019, Ostwald, Musica Festival
Wilhem Latchoumia piano, synthetizers
Quatuor Béla :
Frédéric Aurier violin, nyckelharpa
Julien Dieudegard violin
Julian Boutin viola, hurdy-gurdy
Luc Dedreuil cello
CMP and sound engineer Max Bruckert
lights and stage design Hervé Frichet, Pierre-Yves Boutrand
MMP Antoine Bitran (Decap organ) & Mathieu Ogier (phonograph)
stage management and instruments Emile Martin
(CMP: computer music producer, MMP: mechanical music producer)
production Association L’Oreille Droite / Quatuor Béla
coproduction MC2: Grenoble, Arsenal Cité musicale-Metz, MCB° Maison de la Culture de Bourges, Tandem-SN d’Arras Douai, La Barcarolle EPCC – Spectacle vivant Audomarois, Espace Malraux Scène nationale de Chambéry et de la Savoie, Césaré-CNCM, gmem-CNCM-marseille, Grame-CNCM, Musica, La Scala Paris
with support from DRAC Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, the Savoie Department, the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region, the PACA Region, the SACEM, FCM, ADAMI, DICRéAM, ProQuartet, the Ferme des Orgues, Jean-Jacques Kowalski — Orchestrion Decap de l’Armée du Chahut (Bobigny), Valentin Clastrier, Michel Tabarand, Editions de Minuit, Peter Szendy and Bernard Stiegler.
- Friday 27 March 2020 , 20:00, Lyon, Théâtre de la Croix Rousse / Biennale des musiques exploratoires
- Tuesday 31 March 2020 , 20:30, MC2, Grenoble
- Saturday 2 May 2020 , 20:00, Théâtre de la Criée / Festival Les Musiques
- Thursday 17 September 2020, Bel Air Claviers Festival / Espace Malraux - Scène Nationale de Chambéry et de la Savoie
- Sunday 19 January 2020 , 17:00, La Barcarolle, à Saint Omer - Salle Balavoine
- Thursday 16 January 2020 , 20:30, Le Tandem / Douai
- Friday 11 October 2019 , 21:00, La Scala Paris
- Tuesday 8 October 2019 , 20:00, Maison de la Culture de Bourges
- Wednesday 2 October 2019 , 20:30, Festival Musica, Le Point d'Eau, Ostwald